Monday, 20 July 2015

Dutch Artillery - Completed 7h 0m

Hi All,

Despite a poor nights sleep, I rallied round this morning & starter work early, determined to completed work on the Dutch Artillery. This I did, using a new process, taken from my personal painting. I basecoated all areas of the minis (except for the previously airbrushed coats) with black. This meant that so long as I was careful with the remaining coats of paint, I wouldn't need to blackline.

This raised two questions for me!

  1. Do I return to a black undercoat without basecoating the minis using the airbrush, just getting to work with the brush? I think at my 'Tabletop' level, where no highlights are used, the simple answer is yes. I will use this method on the Dutch Cavalry.
  2. My second question; was my previous thought about twenty sticks being optimum (see previous post on 'Productiveness') correct? After all I've completed a group of 13 (half of which was guns/equipment) in seven hours & more importantly it feels great to finish units. Comparing previous performance, doing some simple maths I think that theres not much in it time wise, or is there? I felt like I was painting faster today, there was a drive to get the unit completed. Whereas painting a group of 20+ sticks can feel like factory style work, with the drive being to complete one colour at a time. This leads inevitably to another colour & so on until completion; problem is, in the back of your mind you know you won't be completing that day (day 1 at least). Using smaller numbers, easier goals can be met, which mentally drives you forward. Again, I can try this out with the Dutch cavalry, painting as two, rather than one group.

Pics:






As always if you would like a closer look at any pictures above, click on them. If you have any comments or would like to ask me questions or provide feedback, please fill in the comments box below (this will be moderated before being published on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment