Thursday, 18 June 2015

An Anniversary, Website Update, Dutch Infantry Prep & Planning


Hi All,

As some of you will have seen from my Facebook messages earlier today, its a special day for me. Mickey's Minis turned 1 today!

I'd like to thank anyone whose reading this, following my work, supporting me & especially those who I'm working or have worked for over the past year (& hopefully for many more years).

*Note on my website, I'm in the process of creating a new one (with the same address). Change of supplier however, means a complete rebuild which will take a little more time. Apologies to anyone wanting to have a look. I will update you as soon as the new site is live.

Back to today, which has been a bit of a rollercoaster. Day started well, enjoying the anniversary mood (prepping the remaining Dutch Infantry) & the knowledge that I should see a delivery of new supplies (which I was looking forward to using in my work). Firstly, only some of the deliveries arrived & vital parts were missing which meant I couldn't work with them (this is the short story).

I then went for what should have been a short drive to collect some supplies for work. Crazy local/motorway traffic left me stranded for several hours, putting a severe dint in my work-time. I did however get the supplies & complete the pre-work on all the Dutch Infantry.

This brings me to my final subject today, that of Planning; no, not for collecting supplies but of painting. Many smaller/less complicated painting projects can be dived into with little or no planning. Pick up a brush, grab a pot of paint and away you go. Then you have larger more complex projects like the the Dutch Infantry & alike, which have many varied miniatures belonging to various regiments all with differing colour schemes.

I'd like to provide an insight into how I plan. Firstly, its important to have a clear guide of all the minis involved in the project, numbers, names, colours etc.

Here's a typical spreadsheet I use (based on info provided by my customer). I've highlighted/grouped the main colours that I will be airbrushing to ensure that they get painted correctly & efficiently. If your going to paint a group of blue coats, it makes sense to paint all the blue coats needed at the same time; saving time/paint/energy.

Once the spreadsheets complete I then mark the underside of the sticks (which the minis will be painted on) with stickers showing the number of the regiment & the main coat colour (in this case pink refers to red).

You can also see on this pic numbers I used to use directly on the sticks. Problem with this is the coat colour is unclear. This lead to three of last weeks Irish LoA infantry becoming 'turncoats', which I should be rectifying this week (hopefully tomorrow), when they arrive.

Once the initial airbrushing of undercoat and basecoat (in this case the main coat colour) is complete, the regiments can be reorganised to ensure that all their facing colours are painted together. With the initial spreadsheet close to hand this process is made smoother. I strike off the painted colours from each regiment as I go along to ensure I haven't missed any.














Here's a couple of pics of the Dutch Infantry separated into two roughly equal groups of around twenty sticks each. This is in-line with my thoughts on productiveness outlined in yesterday's blog.

You can just make out the slips of note paper displaying the main coat colours, white/blue on the left, red/yellow/dark blue/black on the right.

I hope that somebody will find this useful (please let me know).

All being well I will receive a part in the post tomorrow which will enable me to use my new simple single-action airbrush. This I plan to use to undercoat and varnish with. More on that at a later date.

As always if you would like a closer look at any pictures above, click on them. If you have any comments or would like to ask me questions or provide feedback, please fill in the comments box below (this will be moderated before being published on this blog).

4 comments: