Monday, 26 January 2015

LoA 10s #2 - Austro/Swab/Franco/Sax Infantry - Prep

Hi All,

Today I start a new project and bring news of a slightly new reporting format.

The project is a continuation of the ongoing League of Augsburg commission. This batch is primarily Infantry/cavalry with a few guns and covers several states (Austria, Swabia, Franconia and Saxony). This basically means that there will be a lot of colours included.

Ive chosen to start work on the infantry element (19 regiments in total). Today I have got all the preparation(clean-up, attaching to temp. bases and gluing on pikes) completed. (see pic below)

I also learned two valuable lessons when working with a bench grinder(I use this to quickly clean-up/flatten metal bases). Firstly, be mindful at all times of the fast spinning and potentially dangerous grinding discs. I stretched over the grinder to grab something and accidentally ground my thumb (which, hours later is still very sore)!

Secondly, be mindful that after hours of use the grinder's surface becomes very hot! I went to pick it up after completing work on the bases and singed the ends of three fingers. Thankfully these don't feel so bad now.

As for the new reporting format; Due to medical conditions I rarely complete a full eight hour day(six hours being a big day for me). However, my customers often note how fast I paint. To check this I've been recording how much time I spend painting my commissions(using an app - 'Hours Keeper'); I literally clock in and out for a running total.

Previously I would note my work in progress(WIP) in a running total days or half days(.5), half days being those times when, for whatever reason I hadn't dedicated my whole day to painting. So for example, the French artillery which were completed last week are noted as taking 4.5 days. However, when I check the actual hours worked on my app, it shows a total time less than 20 hours

Starting with the the painting of the LoA infantry(planned for tomorrow) I will not my WIP in actual hours.

Pic:

As always if you would like a closer look at any pictures above, click on them. If you have any comments or would like to ask me questions or provide feedback, please fill in the comments box below (this will be moderated before being published on this blog).

2 comments: