Today worked out a little differently then planed, which meant I had almost a full day of painting. As a result these minis are just about completed. Heres what been completed today:
- Highlight the helmets, dark green equipment (grenades, MP/BAR pouches) with a coat of Brown Violet(VMC)
- Highlight any camo netting (helmet) with a coat of Pastel Green(VMC)
- Highlight any first aid packs with a coat of Heavy Grey(VGC)
- Highlight the wood (rifle, handles), chin strap & boots with a thinned coat of Dark Fleshtone(VGC)
- Highlight the helmet camo cloth & any Musette bags with a coat of Green Ochre(VMC)
- Highlight the elbow/knee patches with a coat of Reflective Green(VMC)
- Highlight knife covers with a coat of Rakarth Flesh(C)
- Highlight the boot laces, any gloves & dampbrush the tops of the bases with a coat of Zandri Dust(C)
- Highlight the metal parts with a thinned coat of Neutral Grey(VMC)
- Dampbrush any ammo belts with a coat of Glorious Gold(VGC)
- Add battle damage with a sponge (were appropriate) using unthinned Boltgun Metal(C)
I stopped here as it was near the end of the day and I have a decision to make(with the minis' owner). That being, to blackline, brownline or neither. Blacklining is how I completed the test mini, which at the time looked good. Over time I've began to think that the black is too harsh for these minis. In the week I heard about a process which I'll name Brownlining. It uses a mix of dark brown paint and ink to create a less harsh solution for shading. I have a sample below in the pics(last two) of the Brownlining next to the Blacklined mini(Brownlined is on the left as you look at them). All being well I'll get a decision tonight and complete these tomorrow. Then I can start some more.
As always if you would like a closer look at any pictures above, click on them. If you have any comments or would like to ask me questions or provide feedback, please fill in the comments box below (this will be moderated before being published on this blog).