Tuesday, 29 July 2014

French Napoleonic 18s #2 - Day 1

Today I received a new commission in the post. I don't know if I was more excited to see the minis or all the lovely packing material they came with (I use a lot of packing) LOL. Joking aside the minis are fantastic, as expected from AB Miniatures. I have a line infantry regiment and four guns for this commission and a Light infantry regiment for the next commission.

The minis were already cleaned-up by the customer (I appreciate that), so I got straight to work sorting out and gluing them to wooden sticks (this makes painting them easier). After I completed the weekly grocery shop they where dry enough to start painting.

Let the airbrushing commence! Black undercoat was my starting point, followed by a dusting of grey from above to bring out the highlights. The infantry and artillerymen were then given two coats of Dark Prussian Blue(VMC) and the guns received two coats of Heavy Grey(VGC). All the black areas on the artillery were painted with Heavy Charcoal(VGC) and the guns, Brassy Brass(VGC).

Back to the Airbrush and all the minis had a coat of Gloss varnish in preparation for their first wash and to provide some added protection to their initial coat of paint. Once dry the wash (Hard Body Black, which is my own make) was airbrushed over the whole of the minis. That brings me to 5pm and the pics you see below.

The infantry/gunners look almost black, but from up close they are very dark blue. Tomorrow I can start adding more colours and they should start to come to life.






As always if you would like a closer look at any pictures above, click on them. If you have any comments or would like to ask me questions or provide feedback, please fill in the comments box below (this will be moderated before being published on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment