Monday, 27 May 2013

Workbench - Kingdom of Britannia Naval Battlegroup - White Tops / Black Decks

Following the airbrushing of the hulls, I set to work highlighting them. It was at this point that I made my first change to my initial painting guide, deciding to drybrush the hulls rather than damp brush. I usually avoid drybrushing as I find it a little too messy. I decided that, as there was only one colour on the mini, any messiness could easily be cleaned up afterwards. I concentrated the drybrushing (with Gretchin Green) around the rivets and lower hull area. I was a little unhappy with the results, as a lot of my nicely graduated airbrushing had been covered with the drybrushing; I remedied this by layering on a couple of coats of thinned Dark Green. This helped to restore the hull colour, while keeping the highlights (which I didn't paint over). I then pondered my next steps; white areas or black on the decking etc. Previous to starting this fleet, I had airbrushed the white areas on one of my carriers and liked the results. I was fairly sure I wasn't going to get as good results on the white without airbrushing. I therefore decided to airbrush the white areas (at least on my Large class minis). The first step was masking off the completed green areas; this was done with blu-tac, masking tape and pieces of acetate sheet. On the smaller vessels I painted on the white (Dheneb Stone). Once dry the white areas were drybrushed with pure white paint (Ceramite White). The next step was painting all the black and metal areas black. It is at this stage that I have made a couple of artistic changes; firstly the decking, the original colour is too light and has a yellow hue, which wont look right with the new scheme. I have therefore changed this to black with Charadon Granite highlights; this is a more earthy tone and works well with both the green and the white. Secondly, there are certain areas of the ship (looking at the battleship) that look really good in black and contrast well with the green. I have therefore decided to have weapons and deck rails in black and all engine parts in copper. Below are a couple of pics of the battleship, taken with and without a flash, to highlight the lower and upper parts of the mini.
 

 
As always if you would like a closer look at any pictures above, click on them. If you have any comments or would like to ask me questions or provide feedback, please fill in the comments box below (this will be moderated before being published on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment