Wednesday, 16 January 2013

Selling of Five Armies


Eye Candy – De Bellis Antiquitatis (DBA)

Preparation for the imminent house move continues and these five DBA armies didn’t make the cut. For those of you who are Sci-Fi/Fantasy gamers, you may not be aware of DBA; this is a game based in historical wargaming (or ‘Real’ wargaming, as I would call it).  I used to play DBA many years ago and these are some of the armies I collected. Yes, I have many more unpainted, which may become painted if the five are good sellers.

Four of the armies can be seen in detail on the DBA fan page Fanaticus; in the ‘Eye Candy’ section under Michael Sims.
http://www.fanaticus.org/DBA/armiesofthefanatici/index.html
The fifth army, along with a pic of the other four can be seen below.
First up is my Polybian Roman army, modelled in 6mm Baccus miniatures.
 

What I really like about these minis is there epic scale. I only doubled the number of figures you would normally use on a DBA base; but I think they look, well epic on the table. Being so small I didn’t paint them with as many layers of paint as I would a larger mini, though I think there may be a few that have up-to three layers. Below are few close-ups:
 
The Polybians were the Roman armies famous for taking on the Carthaginians; which brings me to my next army.

These are my Carthaginians, also modelled in 6mm Baccus miniatures. Unlike the Polybians, who only have one choice of army; the Carthaginians have several options. This means that you never get board of attacking the Romans with various forces. Famous for Hannibal and his elephants, the army also fields most of the unit types in the game.
 
Next I have the Wallachians, this time 15mm Essex miniatures; they were famous for defending Christendom against the Turks in the Middle Ages. They also include Vlad Tepes as their general; Vlad ‘The Impaler’ was thought by some to be the inspiration for the Dracula character. What I like about this army is it is very colourful, not just historically, but literally. A joy to paint and due to its unit make-up; a tough army to master on the tabletop.

The Neo-Assyrian Later Sargonid army is modelled in 15mm M.Y.Miniatures, a company owned and run by a friend of mine back in Yorkshire. I built this army to face my next army the Hebrews. The Assyrians were a brutal empire who and one of the first professional/organised armies; making them successful for many years.
 
Lastly, the biggest of my DBA armies, the Hebrews. This is actually four armies in one, as there are enough unit options to cover all the army options for Early-Late Hebrews. These were the first army I built after becoming a Christian and wanted to bring to life some of the battles of the Bible. Again, they are a difficult army to master on the tabletop, as they were primarily an ambush force. I put a lot of research into the dress and colour schemes of this army and it was a joy to create.
As always if you would like a closer look at any pictures above, click on them. If you have any comments or would like to ask me questions or provide feedback, please fill in the comments box below (this will be moderated before being published on this blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment